2010-11-21

Woodturning Day 2

To day we continued to work between centers. Åke started by talking about how to sharpen the tools at the course. He uses a combination of a Tormek to get the shape back to original and a some Japanese water stones to hone the edge. This is a simple and easy way which is needed during a course like this. He has a system of colors on the different tools to match jigs and settings on the Tormek. To make the world understandable as he says. It makes it easy for the participants to sharpen the tools without risking to changing the angle of the bevel every time.


He then went on to show how to make a tool handle for a turning tool. It goes something like this. Make the the blank round, then drill the hole in the tool handle using the lathe and a long drill. Then using a tenoning tool make a tenon on the handle. Remove the handle and fit a brass ring on the tenon. Handle back in the lathe and make the shape  you prefer on your handle. Then tenoning tool is some thing I need to make.

Spinning Tops
After that it was back and continued with what we had left from yesterday. After I rought turned a blank it was time for another demonstration. The spinning tops. First a simple standard and then the "Tippe-Toppen". I have no English translation so I call it "Tipover-Top" for now and if anyone knows what it's called leave a comment. I've been wanting to make one sense last course but didn't know how.

 The standard spinning to went ok. Not that hard but it has it's moments so it's a good exercise with the smaller gauge. I realizes when comparing my gauge with the course tool that I had giving it a different shape. It was almost impossible to start the cut the way I was suppose to, but at least my gauge was sharp, rely rely sharp. I once again learnt how sharp the tools are and that the pointy part should never touch the inside of you hand. Don't ask me how I did it, it just happened. Not much of at wound but irritating to have it in my hand.

The Tipover-Top
The making of the Tippover-Top is fun. You have to make a round shape and excavate it some leaving the handle. Much can go wrong. But it didn't. I even took the skew and made the surface smooth. No catch this time. Some paint from a magic market and a test run and it worked! It's not guarantied that it works. The shape have to be correct for it to do it's magic. At this time I'm not sure why it does' what it does.

Åke then showed how to turn a mallet and then it was free turning until the end of the day.

My Tree
It's soon Christmas.
On of thte participants had a turned Christmas tree with him and that inspired me to make one of my on. While making the "Tipover-Top" I used the long point of the skew to remove some not needed material, that made some cool shavings and that gave me an idea for a Christmas tree. It can probably be improved a bit but came out rely nice I think.

To morrow we start making bowls in green wood.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar