2010-11-25

Woodturning Day 4

So, last day, a bit sad but my body started to complain about standing up for four days straight. It's just not used to it. Nothing new this day, everyone continued with what they wanted to do. I thought I'd make another "Tipover-Top". I didn't get it round so it didn't tip over as it should have. On the test run it went between the floor and Egil and ended up under the tugboat. After some looking around I found a trapdoor in the floor and could retrieve the "Tipover-Top". Well, now I have seen Egil from the underside, I don't think it's part of the regular tour in the museum.

We talked about buy a lathe but unfortunately the market for lathes in Sweden aren't that big. There aren't much to pick from unless you wan't to order from outside the country and the prices are high. There are a lot of used lathe for sale but it's a problem to know what it is and if it is a god one. At the moment I have two so I'm not actively looking for a new one, but you never know.

I decided to make a small cup. I first turned a ball with a handle, then I took a new piece of wood and made a wooden chuck the would fit the ball. After that it was just a matter of turning the inside of the cup. Now it was't that easy to fit the chuck tightly to the ball but with some water on the inside of the chuck it held the cup enough to be turned


The day went fast and towards the afternoon the snow started to fall and we helped pack the car and clean the place. It's hard to believe that a woodturning course for 12 people can fit one car with a trailer. There some thought to what goes were.


It's been four rely nice days. I have learnt a few thinks that has improved my turning. Mainly the way I hold the tool and move my body. I used to move the tool by moving my arms, but that makes it hard to get those log stable cuts. By locking the arms close to my body and move using my legs I got much better results.

There's a new course in April but I have not decided if I will go. I know my wife would like to go and that would be rely cool. There were some talk about a course in carving and I'd like to try that also. Will see.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar